An erection seems like a simple thing, but it actually requires a long and complicated chain of processes involving the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and blood vessels.
There are many different factors, both physical and psychological, that can interfere with these processes, and some are signs of serious medical conditions. That’s why it’s important to consult a doctor if you are experiencing erectile dysfunction.
The major causes of erectile dysfunction include:
- Vascular/circulatory problems
- Side effects of prescription medication
- Neurological and nerve disorders
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Anxiety, stress, and depression
- Hormonal or vitamin deficiencies